Version 3 Suggestions

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Hearts".
Aidan

Version 3 Suggestions

Post by Aidan »

I'm working on Version 3 now.

Any suggestions on how to improve the game welcome. Any aspect of the game, not just network play and connection problems (which will also be looked into).
Aidan
GrassGames.com

ru29

Re: Version 3 Suggestions

Post by ru29 »

How about improving the cribbage app while you're at it too?

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

That's next in line to be updated.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Players.
I suggest you look at anonymising the names of players in the lobby and during the game. Player 1 – player 2 etc. You can keep the “league” if you like with the names. This will ensure everyone plays with everyone and there will be no difficulty in getting a game. You could identify the skill level of each player by displaying % win ratio in bands – for example 30%+ - 25%+ etc or something else like novice – expert – intermediate maybe?

The lobby.
No activity for a fixed period of time – evict.

Waste of time – suggestion 1 notwithstanding. When you introduced the idea players thought it would be good to “put a face to the name”. We never knew there were so many cats – dogs – horses etc – concept reasonable - in practice useless.

Scoring.
Abandon it or have a monthly competition similar to the patience games scoring. If you must have it then simplify it – a point for a win – nothing for 2 3 4? Any system that creates big gaps will eventually become unwieldy. New players must have the opportunity to get to top – wherever or whatever that is.

Chat.
Selection from a menu and abandon free script or turn it off.

Quitting.
Current system seems to work but the difficulty of discerning between a quit and a disconnect remains problematic. I've no suggestion for this.

Forum.
Now largely a waste of time – if you must have then you must moderate it properly.

Payment.
There seems to be two systems operating? Coins and annual subscription? Make it one or the other.

I have now largely retired.

Regards Iceman

cenalex67

Post by cenalex67 »

My suggestions:

1. I'd like to see all rules (or only "Shoot the moon") of actual match during entire game. I often saw many players make unnecessary moons when the rule was "Old Moon".

2. I would make 2 scores: General score, like now, and monthly score.

3. A little button to disable or able chat during game or in the lobby.

4. If is that a bug I'd like fix: If I hit "Esc" during game to view rules when I return to the game the cards are scrambled. It happens only to me? Sometimes, ops... often, the game go to be stuck.

5. I already said it in other post: I'd like to see my 3 cards that i'm passing until the end and possibility to correct the pass within a fixed time.

Thanks Alex

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Thanks for the suggestions. Some at least will be implemented.

V3 updates so far:

1) The chat system is going to be updated to an extensive menu selection - this is already in progress. I understand that some people won't be happy with this, but others will.

2) The avatar system will be updated too to a face creation system as seen in other games. Expressions will be at least a bit interactive hopefully.

3) The ratings system will be updated to a monthly format. Ratings will be reset at the start of each month. Some way of keeping track of winners / top 10 for the previous 12 months will be implemented.

4) I'm also considering not doing a new iPhone or Android version for a few reasons:
. practically zero sales
. would prefer to work only with larger screen sizes
. phone calls surely interrupt network play
There will however be a new iPad version. And potentially an Xbox version down the road.
Aidan
GrassGames.com

jbruch

Post by jbruch »

Switching to a monthly rating system sounds like a good idea. I think it would be nice if there is some minimum number of games (15?) that needs to be played to be part of the rating system in a given month but I think it would also be good if the scoring system weighs quality of play more than frequency of play once the number of games threshold is passed. One of the problems with the current scoring system seems to be the weight of frequency of play in the equation having a strong impact vs. win % or quality of play.

I can't argue with the logic to eliminate phone support though it will likely mean losing some quality players like Ace. I find playing with phone players tends to lead to more issues with the system where players get disconnected temporarily or permanantly in the game so this would likely reduce that issue.

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Ok sounds interesting. Any ideas then on how to implement quality of play vs. frequency of play?
Aidan
GrassGames.com

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Quality v frequency.
The difficulty arises with the definition of “quality” which in a competitive card game will mean the number of wins.

There is no completely “fair” way to do this and all solutions will have drawbacks.
However, one way might be for each player to use the same number of games and then average the scores. This could only be achieved by using the same number of games for each player – for example the last 20 games played in each month – easy to identify and calculate?

I'd suggest using 20 games in a month to qualify for the competition.

Scoring 4 – 2 – 1 – 0 and penalty for quitting as now.

For example a player who plays 100 games a month would still only have the last 20 of those games used to assess their average score.

Regards to all. Iceman

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I wish the history of hands that appears after each hand (in the Mac OS version) would display negative points and scores instead of just representing them with a dash.