Illumination - I hope..........

For all support and comments on the game "GrassGames' Cribbage".
SunnyCorner

Illumination - I hope..........

Post by SunnyCorner »

Between 23rd August and 22nd September I compiled a brief summary of whats happening here.

Total players dropped from 173 to 158. Some have joined, as others have dropped out, but the net loss is 15.

1260 games were played during the period.

Covering the same period there are only 50 “active” players. That is to say they played at least once over the period. However, 28 players have played less than 10 games.

Some players are clearly partners and only ever play each other – which in effect reduces the “active” pool of players, and the competition. Not a problem but a factor.

Only 5 players have exceeded 100 games and between the top 5 they have played 773 games. This is again skewed as one player has played 275 games - the next highest is 137!

This means the top 5 players are mostly only playing each other but with one player alone playing more than 50% of those games!

This really can't carry on as the top 5 players are in effect controlling the game. The lack of both competition and the opportunity to play is clearly detrimental to the game. By allowing the “top” player to have over 50% more games than anybody else those “top” players are inflating his score even further - the more games you play the higher the opportunity to win.

The score is now meaningless. To be the “top” of a pool of 5 is worthless and the game is being undermined and ruined by the stupidity. I realise the consequences are unintended but I would urge those responsible (you know who you are!) to stop this selfishness and start playing with anyone who asks while we still have a game to play! PLEASE

Regards to all. Iceman

billy

Re: Illumination - I hope..........

Post by billy »

50 active players and 12 reads so far, with no replies, thus far. Hard to know what to say, that we don't already know. The analysis is very detailed and informative. Some of the top players are sympathetic to the cause. One or two, not so. This cannot, in my opinion, be resolved without Aidan's intervention. A similar scenario exists in the Hearts game. Yes it should be a fun game, but also competitive but the points system needs to be revised. I'm at fault too. Winning 4 from 5 just to lose points to much lower ranked players ( still good players ), just isn't fun !! At the moment there's no attraction for newcomers, coming in at 1200 ,who would quickly realise that they'd get a handful of games a month and take them years to break into even the top 10. Even with the weighting system which definitely has to stay.
It's gone on too long and is really beyond repair, in my humble opinion. Playing the most games just to stay at the top and lose 470 more games than you win, shouldn't be the most important factor. nothing skilful or clever in that.
The obvious solution would be to start all over, with certain criteria in the rules. After all we all pay the same subscription, but some people play 10 times or more than others. I'm sure we'd see some new faces in the top 20 and I'm also sure we'd lose a couple if we started again with level playing field.

Kind regards to all
Billy

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Thanks Billy - as always a measured and thoughtful response - I agree with everything you say except the scoring and weighting in hearts. By and large that works very well and I have personal experience of going from the bottom to the top when I took a year off nursing my brother. That is simply not possible in cribbage as the pool of players is not big enough and the top 5 control everything.

I would favour a monthly competition at the very least in cribbage but it would be very helpful to hear some other views to see if there's a consensus. We can then approach Aidan for a fix.

Regards to all - and thanks again Billy. Ice

billy

Post by billy »

I probably mislead you with my mentioning of Hearts. I do believe the scoring and weighting system is correct there. My purpose of mentioning hearts in the same breath as cribbage was entirely to highlight player selection. In Hearts, with 3 top rated players looking for a 4th, they wouldn't very often consider accepting a join request from someone very lowly ranked. If I was on 1600 in hearts, would you play me ? I wouldn't expect you to. We chat, text, threaten to meet up for a beer at xmas but I won't play you at cribbage. Crazy, just because of the scoring.
A monthly competition would be great. Kept separate from the main competition, possibly, as some of top 5 wouldn't relish giving up their position.
Max 30 games per month, so everyone gets a fair deal. But it's all just fantasy.
As you rightly say, hearing from others would help, but hearing from no-one would suggest to Aidan that the majority are happy with the way it is. Which we know 1 or 2 are.
cheers Billy

ru29

Post by ru29 »

I appreciate the post and time you put into all the stats but to be frank, nobody probably cares. I don't think online cribbage needs to be taken so seriously. Everyone knows the rankings are a joke, and like Billy said they are 'beyond repair'. I know i've spoken out in the past but i've had a change of heart and i'm over the rankings. I have been following Rudolphs lead and have been playing everyone who shows up in the lobby. My ranking has dropped considerably since, but 'Win to Loss Ratio' is really the only way to measure the top players. The only solution to this ranking system i can think of would be Win/Loss Ratio with a minimum of 1000 games. That way it would encourage new players to play more games and would show who has the best record.
Also as Billy said, the players on Hearts do the exact same thing. 3 top ranked players would never play a low ranked player, so there's no need for hypocrisy and lashing out at the vets on here who have kept active for years and paid their subscriptions.
But i'm just on here cuz i love the game, and i'm not going to let an insignificant ranking system ruin it for me. I encourage other players to do the same.
-Russo

SunnyCorner

Post by SunnyCorner »

Thanks Russo - much appreciated. Just for the record many players including "top" players in Hearts are happy to play anyone regardless of their score. I frequently play lower ranking players as I'm ONLY interested in having a good game. I have no interest whatsoever in the score and have said so on many occasions.

Please don't personalise the issue by calling me a hypocrite - I haven't lashed out at anyone either. I've taken a little time to try and work out what happening and posted some evidence to support my conclusions. If you disagree with the evidence or my conclusions - thats fine - but please don't shoot the messenger.

The issue for me is I can't get a game - still.

Its better to have a discussion to hopefully generate some suggestions for Aidan rather than simply presenting him with a problem - at least then he has something to work with so I thank you again for your contribution.
Regards to all Ice.

ru29

Post by ru29 »

I apologize, Ice. I just know i've sat in the Hearts lobby many a time, only to be passed over game after game due to my low ranking. I'm sorry to throw your name in there, as i can't recall you ever being one of those players.
Either way, the more attention we can generate by keeping this post alive should hopefully help bring some much needed changes.
Aidan can ya hear me?

billy

Post by billy »

I agree with Russ and would hope that it creates more participants. Statistics can sometimes be interesting when analysed as Ice proved in original post.
There are 59 topics on the forum since 2009. With 7 replies, this one ranks tie 3rd. Unfortunately the replies are only shared by us 3.
Of those 59 topics, this post has had the least reads by a country mile, 38, which I guess includes us 3 multiple times and others that aren't inclined to respond.
Again, agreeing with Russ, win/loss percentages is the fairest way to go. I have often thought this myself in the past and recent events only highlight the urgent need to change from present system.
There are 15 who would fall into the category of 1000 + games with only 11 breaking the 50% barrier.
In order of highest percentage, being 55%.
Stanley, Budman, JRT, Rudolph, Russo, Harvey, with Tom, SuperDave, Mr 37 and Susan on 51 and Imansis on 50, and JLMagic on 49 meaning 8 from present top 12 would still be there.That would show that the decent, good players wouldn't miss out.
I realise !000 games would create a few problems. Ice can't get a game, not through lack of trying, but has 52%. I hope to play 21 by xmas, so I can be included.
Well if Aidan ever gets to read this, I take the opportunity to wish him continued success with his new job and family additions and if this post gives him food for thought, I hope you're starving !
Billy

Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

Interesting reading posted by you fellas. Too many points to comment on them all. The obvious being the weighting system for rankings. I for one hold no regard for the rankings posted. The application is skewed enough that is irrelevant in my opinion. I will continue to play anyone when they are logged on and I have the time. With winter approaching that may be more often. Also my bride is asking for a new IPad for Xmas and that will free up our desktop. Yeah, except I have to pay for the gift.
As far as a tournament being held has there been any investigation if a private room would be an option. Maybe using this forum for scores and progress is possible and then again maybe not.
I have setup a private room called tournament on my account and am asking others if they can see it.
Also is there a way to communicate others through this portal?